Pages

October 21, 2015

Waldorf Salad


A few months ago, my husband gave me an interesting kitchen gadget that I had never seen before. For some strange reason, the thing reminded me of a guillotine, but its purpose is quite different. This apparatus is made for turning fruits and vegetables into strings, noodles, and ribbons. It is called a spiralizer.


There are so many things it can be used for, from salads and side dishes to casseroles, pasta substitutes, and desserts. One night, while I was trying to get to sleep, I came up with this recipe. It is a fresh, light version of the classic salad usually made with mayonnaise. This one uses fat free Greek yogurt instead, and includes a few dried cranberries for zing. The apples can be chopped if you don't have a spiralizer, and I'm sure that you will find the salad just as delicious. Enjoy!

Waldorf Salad

2 apples, spiralized or cored and chopped
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 Cup chopped walnuts
1/2 Cup dried cranberries
1/2 Cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
1 Tablespoon agave nectar

Toss the apples in lemon juice to prevent browning.
Add next 3 ingredients and stir together.
Stir the agave nectar into the yogurt and add to salad.
Serves about 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment