Pages

October 26, 2015

The Ten Item Wardrobe Explained

It seems I have caused quite a stir with my ten item wardrobe challenge! Ladies, especially, are taking a look into their closets with new eyes. Many are wondering how in the world they can possibly whittle down their enormous collection of clothing to just ten pieces. Some are puzzled over seasonal changes and whether they would be required to wear wool skirts in the summer and cotton frocks on snowy winter days. Never fear! It's not that bad. You certainly won't find me outside gardening in my Sunday best, or walking two miles in high-heeled shoes! So let's take a closer look at the concept of the ten item wardrobe.

  • The basic idea is to choose ten articles of clothing that form the core of your wardrobe. You will, of course, consider your lifestyle and the type of weather you have in your area. If you wear skirts/pants and tops, each piece counts as one. By choosing your clothing carefully, however, you can mix and match things to get way more than just ten outfits! 
  • Sweaters, jackets, and outerwear are extras; they are bonus pieces that can change a look and add warmth. Even when it is hot outside, air-conditioned stores, restaurants, and churches can be chilly. I almost always take along a sweater, shawl, or jacket when I go out.  
  • Tee shirts and camisoles are extras. You can use them for layering, or simply as tops. Usually, these items don't need to be hung in the closet. They can be kept in drawers or baskets. 
  • Shoes, handbags, and accessories are not counted. After all, if we counted a pair of shoes as two pieces (or even just one), most of us would be in serious trouble! But do try to be reasonable. The idea is to minimize the clutter and simplify things -- and you can't do that with 2000 pairs of shoes!
  • Exercise and work clothes are extras. I think that I will choose ten items for this category, as well. This will be a separate group that will reside in a dresser drawer. That way, I will have what I need for walking and digging in the dirt, while keeping things as simple as possible. 
  • The ten item wardrobe can be changed for each season. The rest of your things can be stored elsewhere so they don't get in the way. You may have a set of clothes for spring/summer and another set for fall/winter. Or you may opt to have four different capsules of seasonal clothing. It really is up to you! What fits your lifestyle? I think that I will sort my clothes into four groups to be changed every three months. Some pieces may find themselves in more than one group and will remain in my closet for an extended period. The general idea gives me some variety throughout the year. When December comes, for example, it will be time to swap my fall things for winter clothes. I will do the same in March, June, and September. 
If you feel that you need more than ten pieces, guess what? You make the rules! Maybe you have twelve or fifteen items that insist on taking part in your life this season. That's ok. Just do what is best for you. But I think you will find life so much simpler if you can keep the quantity of clothing to a minimum. And just imagine how beautiful your closet will look when it is finished!






No comments:

Post a Comment