Pages

October 8, 2015

Bird Watching

There is a mockingbird sitting in a palm tree outside my dining room window. Every day he stops by to eat the red berries that grow in clusters at the top of the trunk. And every day he sings a beautiful song. On and on he goes, his music filling the air as he fills his belly with fruit. Sometimes he brings his family, and they all happily dine on the delicious treat. And sometimes an intruder comes along and tries to steal his food.

I didn't always pay attention to birds. I remember, as a child, my mom would exclaim over sighting a Baltimore oriole or an indigo bunting. But I never noticed anything other than robins, blue jays, and the occasional cardinal. To me, birds were just birds, and I was too busy playing to notice the variety of winged creatures around me. And then I moved to Florida!

Suddenly, birds seemed to be everywhere, and not just robins and blue jays. There were egrets, with beautiful white plumage and long sticks for legs, that waded along the edges of lakes and streams to catch their breakfast. Anhingas swam in the water with just their necks poking out, earning them the nickname snake-birds. An anhinga would stab his prey with a spear-like bill, then flip the fish into the air and swallow it whole. Then he would stand on the bank with his wings spread out to dry in the sun.


Warblers flew about catching insects -- and there were so many different varieties! Hawks soared way up high, gliding effortlessly on air currents while scanning the ground below for their next meal. And there were even parrots, with emerald green feathers and loud voices clamoring for attention. Thus began my fascination with birds.

My husband and I got ourselves some good binoculars and a field guide, and started our quest to see and identify as many birds as possible. A hot tip on a new bird would send us on a wild goose chase to find the elusive creature. We would load up the stroller and wheel it through the woods while our little girl enjoyed the fun. Each time we went exploring, it seemed, we saw a new species and added it to our list. And often, we saw other wildlife as well.



As our family grew, our outings became less frequent. Life was busy, and there were mouths to feed and diapers to change...Then one day, I saw a burrowing owl standing in the yard. I hurried and got the kids gathered up, and we peeked out the window at our visitor. I told them about bird watching, and how some people keep a list of all the different birds they see, and how exciting it is to spot a new one to add to the list. I could see their eyes light up with interest, and I knew then and there that I had started something. That Christmas, the only things they asked for were Roger Tory Peterson field guides and a trip to Everglades National Park to look for birds. Thus began their fascination with birds, and their life lists were started. 

A life list is what birders call that inventory of birds that a person sees and identifies. Our state has a wonderful program called Wings Over Florida, in which certificates are awarded at varying levels depending on the number of birds spotted. There are also certificates for those who do the same with butterflies. It's a fun way to explore the outdoors, and a great incentive to see and appreciate the beauty of God's creation. Perhaps your state has a similar program. If not, try setting a goal and reward yourself with a treat when you reach it. You will be amazed at the variety and abundance of creatures you will see when you open your eyes. As Mr. Fitzpatrick, my art teacher from long ago at The Carnegie Institute, often said,

Look, to See, to Remember...to Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment