Pages

September 22, 2015

Painting Posies


This past week I decided to try painting again. It has been a long time since I have put brush to paper, and the results prove it. But it was a start. I have been wanting to get out my watercolors again for quite some time but just couldn't seem to work up the nerve. After all, what shall I paint? Should I paint from life or use photographic references? If I use photos, is it ethical to use other people's work or must I only use pictures that I have taken myself? Should I paint in  my old style, carefully rendering my subject in detail, or should I try to loosen up my work and be more expressive? What if my painting is no good? Should I post it on Daily Divertissements for all the world to see, or would it be better to hide it in a drawer or simply throw it away? These questions kept me from taking action. So I finally decided to stop evaluating things so much and just dive in.

I pulled out a small d'Arches watercolor block and tore a sheet in half, making it even smaller. Some of my tubes of paint were dried out after years of neglect, but I was still able to use them. After all, they are watercolors; I just added water. My brushes have been standing in a jar on the counter by my kitchen sink, waiting patiently for me to play with them. A jar of marigolds sat on the dining room table. With fear and trembling, I dipped my brush into a glass of water and began my interpretation of the flowers. The result is far from perfect. But starting is the hard part. And I did it! For what it's worth, here is my watercolor rendition of marigolds:




No comments:

Post a Comment