Pages

September 15, 2015

Come Along With Me


My last post got me thinking. Is there something new that I would like to try? Or perhaps something I have tried in the past and given up on? So I sat down and made a list. It got rather lengthy, but here are a few of the things I thought of:
  • Japanese gardening. There is a beautiful Japanese garden in our area that always captivates me when I visit. It's actually a collection of historical gardens inspired by famous gardens of Japan. The pathway takes visitors through gates, over bridges, and alongside a koi pond. There are benches throughout the park that invite guests to relax and listen to the music of the bamboo as it sways in the breeze, the birds singing in the trees, and the waterfall that splashes over rocks into a glistening pool. There are stones in abundance -- stepping stones and boulders, raked gravel and dry rivers. Japanese lanterns and bamboo fences enhance the gardens with just the right touch. And there are trees and flowers and bushes, so precisely placed and carefully shaped that one cannot imagine anything more perfect. I would like to create a small Japanese garden in my backyard.
  • Bonsai. Another Japanese art form, bonsai is simply a tree in a container. The art of bonsai, though, is in cultivating and shaping the tree in such a way as to create a miniature form of a mature tree in nature. There are bonsai trees available in stores and in nurseries, but I would like to start with my own plants, using cuttings or propagating by air layering. 
  • Making mini fruit tarts. I know, it sounds silly. But I always see these lovely little treats in pastry shops, and I would like to try making them some time. I have a recipe for a large fruit tart. The trouble is that it would have be cut to serve, ruining the whole effect. A fruit tart must have its berries arranged just so -- otherwise, what is the point? Little, individual tarts allow the artistry of the confection to be enjoyed as well as its flavor.
  • A painting a week. Artist Duane Keiser started a blog back in 2004, in which he made a small painting each day and showed his work. A Painting a Day, it was called, and the resulting movement became popular among serious artists and amateurs alike. I am realistic enough to know that I would not be able to turn out a painting every day, so I would like to aim for one each week. It has been a long time since I have done any serious painting, but I think I will dig out my watercolors and get to work. Just getting started is the hard part...
So stay tuned, and let's see if I get anywhere with these ideas. I will try to post updates on my progress. Meanwhile, what things would you like to attempt? Come along with me, and try something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment