Pages

January 11, 2017

A Dream and an Inspiration


I had a dream a few weeks ago in which the book The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady came to mind. Many years ago, I had seen this book and admired its beautifully illustrated pages. Edith Holden started her diary in 1906, and filled it with poetry, quotes, and observations of her surroundings. She painted the birds, butterflies, and flowers in her little village with detail and delicacy, her love of nature obvious with each stroke. Edith's lovely book was her own personal treasure until it was published in 1977, many years after her death.

I searched the online catalog of the public library to see if the book was still available. To my delight, there was one copy of it, and I promptly made a trip to the appropriate branch to check it out. Edith's book is still just as enchanting as I remembered, and it has inspired me to try something similar. I purchased a new planner to use for my art journal this year, and I like the idea of focusing on a theme. While I will probably include other items in my book, the wildlife in my own backyard is always there to be observed, written about, and illustrated.


I recently discovered another book, The Laws Guide to Nature Drawing and Journaling by John Muir Laws. Here is a book packed with information, illustrations, and inspiration. It takes the idea of a "country diary" and guides the reader through the process of awareness, observation, and inquiry, while teaching techniques for drawing the wonders of nature. This book brings together perfectly the disciplines of science and art.

This year I hope to keep a record of God's creation by observing the flora and fauna in my garden. Although South Florida lacks the drastic change in seasons that exist in other places, there are subtle differences that occur with the passing of the months. Each day brings something new to discover, if we take the time to notice. Unlike Edith's diary, my little book will probably never be published for all the world to see. It will be my own personal treasure to enjoy. I am looking forward to the journey.

1 comment:

  1. Judy, you have always been so artistically talented in so many ways....music, drawing/painting, and now writing for this blog. Your little book will be a beautiful work of art, I'm certain!

    ReplyDelete