Pages

March 2, 2016

Sewing and Tea


Yesterday a sweet friend sent me a little message on Facebook: "May your day be full of happy things such as sewing and tea." What a nice idea! It has been a while since I have gotten any sewing done. My dress project, mentioned in an earlier post, Two Hundred Dresses, had gone by the wayside during the holidays. And you know how difficult it can be to get going again on something once you've stopped. As they say, out of sight, out of mind. So I decided to get out my fabric and scissors, and start on a new dress.


Using the book Sew Many Dresses, Sew Little Time: The Ultimate Dressmaking Guide by Tanya Whelan, I am starting off with a very basic design. Once I am satisfied with the fit, I will get a little more adventuresome and try something more complicated. Hopefully, this dress will turn out well, and maybe I will be brave and post a picture when it's finished!

I put on some music by John Dowland and got busy. I cut out the dress and the lining (today I will begin stitching the pieces together), and then it was time for tea. A couple shortbread cookies accompanied a nice cup of tea, with a little agave nectar and a lemon slice. As I sat on the patio sipping my beverage, I thanked God for lovely friends and happy things, such as sewing and tea.

Shortbread cookies

3/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour

Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix butter and sugar in large bowl. Stir in flour.
Roll dough 1/2 inch thick on lightly floured surface. Cut into small shapes by hand or use cookie cutters.
Place 1/2 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake about 20 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
Decorate or frost, if desired.
Makes about 2 dozen 1 1/2 inch cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment