Pages

March 10, 2016

Granola Parfait


A few years ago, my husband and I went on a diet. He had always been a little overweight, and I had gradually put on a few pounds that I didn't need. So we decided that enough was enough. And together, we changed our eating habits. He lost over 50 pounds, and I lost 15. We tried new foods, eliminated others, and before we knew it, our craving for gooey sweets was gone and our clothes were getting looser. Some day I will share how we did it. But today, I would like to share our favorite breakfast food.

This delicious granola parfait is tasty and nutritious, packed with vitamins and protein to start your day. One helping of this with a cup of Teavanna's Samurai Chai Mate, and I am ready to go! There is room for creativity in the recipe to suit your own taste. I buy walnuts (or pecans) in a large bag, chop them in my food processor, and store them in a container so they are handy when I need them. The ginger is purchased in the bulk foods section of Wholefoods Market. It costs much less than the little jars you get at the grocery store in the spice aisle. The recipe makes enough for the two of us to eat for a week. Enjoy!

Granola

4 cups oats
1 cup wheat bran
2/3 cup ground flaxseed
2 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
2/3 cup apple juice
1 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons minced candied ginger
1 cup dried cranberries or other fruit

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Combine oats, bran, flaxseed, and nuts in a large bowl.
Combine juice, syrup and ginger in a small saucepan and heat until simmering.
Pour over oats and stir.
Spread onto two baking sheets and bake for 25 - 30 minutes, stirring and switching racks halfway through.
Pour into bowl and stir in fruit.
Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.

Granola Parfait (one serving)

1/2 cup granola
1/2 banana
1/2 cup fresh or frozen berries, thawed
1/3 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt

Layer in a pretty dish, and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment