Pages

October 13, 2016

Coffee Break: Genius!


One of my coffee cups has a quote by Thomas Edison. It reads, "GENIUS! is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration!" Probably most famous for inventing a practical, long-lasting electric light bulb, Edison held over 1000 patents for his inventions, many of which changed the world. As a young boy, Thomas was educated by his mother, who took over directing his studies after his school teacher deemed him addled. Truth be told, he was a curious and creative individual whose mind was exploding with ideas and an insatiable desire to learn. The school he had attended for only a few months couldn't handle him. And the world was forever changed.

It's wonderful to be inspired. It's great to have ideas. But in order to actually accomplish anything, a person has to work at it. Thomas Edison encountered many failures in his laboratory. But rather than quitting, he kept plugging away, saying that he had found so many ways that didn't work. 

Sometimes my mind explodes with ideas. And my curiosity is what keeps me forever looking up the answers to, what some consider, silly questions. Every so often, I even get very creative. Now, I'm no Thomas Edison, but maybe if I work a little harder I can accomplish something, too. I may not change the world, but I can change my little corner of it. The 1% is there. Now for the 99%. It's time to get to work. It's time to perspire!





No comments:

Post a Comment