Pages

January 6, 2016

A New Year, A Fresh Start



It's a new year! And, like many people so often do when the date changes from one year to the next, I like to set new goals. Resolutions may be too strong a term for me. After all, I can resolve to do something really important any time. But there is something about flipping that calendar and seeing a new year that makes me think of new beginnings and a fresh start. Just think of the possibilities! Maybe it has something to do with taking down the Christmas tree and putting the holiday decorations back into storage. Suddenly, the living room is so much bigger! And it makes me want to tidy up the house. Every year, I make the announcement: This year, I'm going to get organized! And every year, we all just kind of laugh. Usually, I read a book to get me motivated, and then I begin to clean, sort, and throw away the useless junk that has accumulated. But it doesn't last long. Life gets busy again, and before you know it, my determination wanes and things get back to normal. Nevertheless, it doesn't stop me from once again setting a goal to get my house in order. This year, I'm going to get organized!

These next few weeks, I will share some of the ideas I have gleaned from the most helpful books I have read on the subject of organization and household management. And perhaps by doing so, I will actually make some progress in my own life. Maybe you have some great ideas or things that have worked for you. Please feel free to share them in the comments below. 

The first thing I recommend is that you set aside some time each day for Bible reading and prayer. After all, God is the most organized person I know, and He certainly has some great advice for getting your life in order. 


Have you ever read through the whole Bible? If not, that would be a great goal for the new year! It may sound like a daunting task, but it can be done. Find a good Bible reading plan or checklist and get started! I use Professor Horner's Bible Reading System, and have 10 bookmarks to keep my place as I read. You may prefer a different method. Some of these systems promise that you will get through the Bible in one year. But what if you don't? What if you miss a day or a week or more? Don't give up! Just pick up where you left off. You can do this! 

Prayer is another important element that will help you to stay focused on what is really important. Keeping a prayer journal can be very encouraging as you see what the Lord has done in your life and how He answers prayer. Just get yourself a notebook and write down the things you are praying about. You will be amazed when you see the results! A recent movie, War Room, (now on DVD) is about the power of prayer and will motivate you to get serious about talking to God.

As you begin to focus on that which is most important, the rest will begin to fall into place. This month, as others fret about losing weight, paying off debts, and yes, organizing their homes, I encourage you to renew your relationship with God by spending more time with Him. Now that's a resolution worth keeping!



No comments:

Post a Comment