Pages

January 13, 2016

A Strategy of Attack


Most of the books I have read about organization and home management start out with explanations of why one should get organized and the history of the author’s struggle with a messy house (or how the author, at age five, cleaned and organized her entire home). At least a chapter or two are devoted to the philosophy of cleaning one’s house and why the method in this book works when others don’t. Then the reader is instructed to get a planner and make a schedule of some sort. The trouble with this is that, while I am sitting around making lists and charting chores, the house is not getting clean. So, in case you are working through this along with me, I am saving my explanation about calendar planning and list making until after we get the ball rolling. The only way to make progress on getting one’s house in order is to get busy and do something!

In order to conquer the clutter and get this place cleaned up, I must do more than Thirty Minutes of Maintenance each day. I need a Strategy of Attack! I must focus on each battle zone and, little by little, advance through the whole house. The question is, where do I begin? One book I read suggested starting at the front door. Another advised commencing with my closet. And yet another recommended embarking on a year-long operation, spending one month in each room, including the basement, garage, and office. If I were to spend an entire month cleaning the garage while neglecting the rest of my house, I can’t even imagine the chaos that would ensue! 

I need a plan that will allow time to focus on each area of the house, while keeping a reasonable sense of order throughout. So I will concentrate on one area for one week, then move on to the next. After spending one week in each room, I will go back to the beginning and repeat the process. By doing this, every area will receive some extra attention about every five weeks. I won't achieve perfection in one week. I may only have fifteen minutes each day to spend on this endeavor. But the next time through the cycle, I will accomplish a little more. And eventually, I will reach some semblance of order. I have divided my home into the following areas:

1. Front porch, foyer, and living room
2. Dining room and patio
3. Kitchen
4. Bathrooms
5. Bedroom (Kids' rooms are not included here. That's a subject for another day!)

So what will I do in these five areas? Whatever needs to be done! From the top down and the whole way around. Yes, I will be cleaning. But first, I'll start with the clutter! Care to join me? Let's sort through the surplus and discard the debris! Then we can organize those things that we choose to keep. Coming up next: Jettison the Junk!

No comments:

Post a Comment